Sunday, March 28, 2021

State Meet Results

“Legacy is not leaving something for people. It’s leaving something in people." ~ Peter Strople

WHAT A WAY TO END THE SEASON - In a year of unprecedented change and need for flexibility, grace, and understanding it was good to make it to the final weekend. Not because I wanted the season to be done, but because in the uncertainty of life during a pandemic, it was good to be able to compete in a meet that was the goal for so many on this team especially thought that were denied last year. Our theme for the year has been "Today Is A Gift." Though I didn't talk about the theme much, I think it was an inherent part of every practice. We never knew from day to day, what circumstances may change. I think it created a sense of urgency to do what we can when we can, but also a sense of playfulness and enjoyment of the time we had together.

I am so happy for the group of guys that were able to compete this weekend and especially for our Seniors. We had lifetime bests by nearly everyone, nearly everyone scoring in at least one event, state champions in three events and 2nd place overall. Not a bad weekend, to say the least.

I was so proud of these guys this weekend, just as I have been proud of this entire team over the course of the season. Saturday's accomplishment is one that is credited to the entire team. Without the encouragement, hard work, and dedication of the entire group, this weekend's accomplishment would be impossible. Over this season, we had many individual and team accomplishments and did them in such a short period of time. Amazing! I can't wait to see what the future holds for the returning group of athletes next season. 

As I talked to the swimmers Saturday morning, I talked about the idea of "continuing a legacy."  This group of young men, and the team as a whole, stand on the legacy of the athletes that came before them and they are all part of the legacy we leave behind. I feel strongly that this group, though successful in the water, has left a legacy that is much bigger than that. Thanks for that.

Here are the results from this weekend - Full Results /  Splits & Improvements

Though there are no details even started yet, I hope to have some sort of banquet after Spring Break. I'm thinking of something outdoors sometime in later April. I'll look at athletic schedules and try to pick some dates that may work.




No comments:

Post a Comment