The Week in Review
HC v West Ottawa Meet Splits - Click here for splits and results. These show comparisons to lifetime best times. Negative numbers in the right column indicates the amount of time that an athlete has improved in the swim (Diving is actually just the opposite). After our first couple meets, I will only make comparisons to season bests.
We are making great progress in the water but still have lots of little things to overcome.
- Conditioning - We still have a majority of our athletes getting into shape. This was especially evident at the end of the meet. The good news is, it is an area that naturally improves as the season progresses.
- Turns - this is an area that is easy to improve on by just doing them well in practice on EVERY TURN. We're getting better, but need to create good habits. What you do in practice is what you will do in a meet.
- Technique - Listening and doing the little things that I try to correct in practice and then doing them consistently from that point on. What you do in practice is what you will do in a meet.
- Conditioning - Yep, it's worth mentioning twice. Though it does happen naturally, it can improve more quickly with fewer excuses during sets. Stretching, adjusting goggles, quick trips to the bathroom in the middle of a set don't help in your conditioning consistency. What you do in practice is what you will do in a meet.
A Little Praise
Though I try to "spread the love" on this blog as we go through the season and try not to focus on any one athlete too much, every once in awhile, one athlete deserves some special recognition. Most of you know that Parker Cook-Weeks spent several days this past week swimming at the USA Junior National Championship meet in Knoxville, Tennessee. Parker qualified with three others on two different relays, and was also given the opportunity to swim in two individual Time Trial events.- 200 Free Relay - 7th (1:24. 41 / 1:23.96p) Parker's best 50 free split 21.01
- 500 Free Time Trial - 4:38.84
- 200 Free Time Trial - 1:43.14
- 400 Free Relay - 5th (3:04.07) Parker's 100 Free split was 45.84
The Week Ahead
Meet on Tuesday's @ Ludington
- I originally thought that this was a 6:30 start, but it is actually a 6:00pm start. On the upside, that gets us home a little earlier. On the down side it leaves less time between the end of the school day, and departure for the meet.
- We will leave by 3:20 from the Aquatic Center
- I will talk to the kitchen about packing a sack lunch for the team for the trip up and will let parents know the response.
- I have also requested that the parents in Ludington keep the post meet meal to something that guys can take on the road. Sounds like they are willing to help out in that regard.
- We will be home around 9:30 hopefully a little earlier.
Looking Ahead
Christmas Break Practice
We will be practice during most of the Christmas break from 7:30-10:30. I know it stinks having to get up early during your break, but at least we can get the practice done and we have the rest of the day to chill. I'll give more detail about other team activities as the break gets closer.
- December 24 - NO PRACTICE
- December 26 - Practice 8:30-10:30
- January 3 & 4 Because I have to return to school for teacher In-Service days, practice returns to 3:20-6:00 and 3:20-5:30 respectively.
Follow Our Meets From home
- Several swimmers wondered about an app that I was using to check splits before having results. Many pools (Zeeland, EGR, Hamilton, EMU) are using it and the Aquatic Center always does. The app is called Meet Mobile. You can find out more about it here.
- Don't forget that you can follow HC Aquatics on Twitter @HCaquatics which is the fastest way to get updates of this blog, and on our HC Aquatics Facebook page.
Christmas Break Practice
We will be practice during most of the Christmas break from 7:30-10:30. I know it stinks having to get up early during your break, but at least we can get the practice done and we have the rest of the day to chill. I'll give more detail about other team activities as the break gets closer.
- December 24 - NO PRACTICE
- December 26 - Practice 8:30-10:30
- January 3 & 4 Because I have to return to school for teacher In-Service days, practice returns to 3:20-6:00 and 3:20-5:30 respectively.
Follow Our Meets From home
- Several swimmers wondered about an app that I was using to check splits before having results. Many pools (Zeeland, EGR, Hamilton, EMU) are using it and the Aquatic Center always does. The app is called Meet Mobile. You can find out more about it here.
- Don't forget that you can follow HC Aquatics on Twitter @HCaquatics which is the fastest way to get updates of this blog, and on our HC Aquatics Facebook page.
- December 24 - NO PRACTICE
- December 26 - Practice 8:30-10:30
- January 3 & 4 Because I have to return to school for teacher In-Service days, practice returns to 3:20-6:00 and 3:20-5:30 respectively.
No comments:
Post a Comment