Sunday, March 16, 2025

Final Heat - LET'S GO!!

NO  WORDS

    Like Conference was for most of our team, this weekend was a culmination of the hard work and dedication that 14 our teammates have put in over a sixteen week season. What a job they did. Three All State Relays, ten individual All State performances and one State Champion. What an amazing 

    Everyone that competed this weekend deserve a Gritty Award, but I'll just include the picture of Parker as our State Champion. Watching Parker, along with his diving mate Charlie perform was something to behold this weekend. Parker became the first State Champion in Diving for Holland Christian, but I have a sneaking suspicion and a sincere hope that he will not be the last. With a coach like Matt Inman, I sure our divers will continue to be successful. that Parker was certainly not the only one of our athletes who had a great weekend. You can see the FULL RESULTS HERE and the SEASONAL IMPROVEMENTS HERE.

       After a weekend like this, I'm at a loss for words. My emotions ran the entire spectrum this weekend. Excitement, frustration, anticipation, disappointment, amazement, pride, joy, melancholy and nostalgic. The one emotion that kept coming back was gratitude. I am so grateful for the support this team has had throughout the season and the support I've had throughout my coaching career. 

   My family has been my foundation throughout my coaching "addiction." And they have paid the biggest price for my time away. So having them at the meet this weekend created a sense of both sorrow for the days, 
weeks, and months that I lost with them, but tremendous gratitude for the time they gave me to
 really pursue one of the things I believe God created me for.  It is time for me to retake some of that family time
with my bride, my kids and my grandkids.

    Though for the first third of my coaching career, I worked without an assistant coach,  however,  over the last fifteen plus years or so I have been blessed with several capable assistants that have been my advisors, aids, and counselors in and out of seasons. The group I 
had this year were no different. Thanks to Blake, Kirk, James, Jake and Matt for helping me through this season and several seasons before. Sorry you didn't make the attached picture Jake and Matt.  I am also grateful to the MLA coaches, and the Holland Aquatic Center for the help they have given our program over the years. They have been an integral part of our success and trust they will continue to be.


    Though not planned 41 years ago, this meet seemed an appropriate conclusion to my coaching experience. It was in 1984 at Eastern Michigan University where I was at my first State Meet as an assistant coach to Don Kimble. I was one year out of High School and Don was gracious enough to let me tag along to the State Meet (I rarely assisted during practices due to my work schedule). So, this weekend brought my "coaching" full circle. It is coaching that has made me who I am. And I am grateful to each of you for how you have fed into me and it has been my privilege to play a small role in your life.

See you at the Banquet Tuesday Evening at the HS.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment